Saturday, June 2, 2012

Homemade Strawberry Jam

I posted a snippet about this amazing stuff last year but I thought this year I would give you the full recipe (which is found in the Sure Jell box). As soon as you finish skimming through this post, run out to your local farmers market and get to work! You will not regret it!



I bought 8 quarts of freshly picked strawberries from Bullards. Some of the most beautiful strawberries I've ever seen or tasted!

Here's what you'll need:

1. Strawberries (2 pt. make 5 cups)
2. Sugar (4 cups for one batch)
3. Sure Jell (1 box a batch)
4. Jars

Here is what I got for 36 (miscellaneously sized) jars:

1. That huge box of berries above - $28
2. 15 lbs sugar (I used about 13) - $10.08
3. 8 boxes Sure Jell - $20
4. Miscellaneous jars saved over the years - free
Total = $58.08

If you have any kind of coupon savvy-ness, this could easily be much cheaper! I made enough jars for 3 a month for the next year. Most people don't go through jam quite that fast, but if most people made this jam they probably would!!

Here's what you'll do:

1. Gather supplies.
Obviously you will need different amounts than what is pictured!
 2. Cut the tops and any bruises off strawberries.
Watch Biggest Loser on Netflix while you do this.
3. Rinse strawberries.

I just rinsed a couple of cups then moved right into the next step.

4. Mash strawberries.

A potato masher works great unless you are doing a million batches like me. In that case, a small food processor is your savior. If you use a food processor, just do a handful or two at a time so you have control of how fine you make your berries. Don't puree, tho!

5. Measure strawberries.


You need 2 cups of mashed strawberries. Pour them into a large bowl.

6. Add 4 cups sugar. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes.

Sorry no pic for this one. I knew I'd forget a picture somewhere.


7. Prepare Sure Jell.

When you have 2-3 minutes left of your 10 minutes, pour the packet of Sure Jell and 3/4 c water into a small saucepan. Bring it to a boil. Once it is boiling, stir constantly for 1 minute.

8. Add Sure Jell mixture to strawberry mixture.

Stir for about 3 minutes or until it is no longer grainy.

9. Pour jam into jars.


Make sure to leave about a half inch of space at the top for freezing.

10. Done!!

Let the jam sit at room temperature for 24 hours then freeze for up to a year! (Well, the year thing is what the box says, but it totally lasts longer than that).

What else I have to say:

-This is a messy (and delicious!) process. Be prepared.
This doesn't include the jar filling station!
-A lot can be accomplished during that ten minutes of letting your berries sit. I rinsed and chopped more berries, wiped down counter space, wiped down already filled jars and put lids on, put my feet up, etc.

-It took me between 4 and 5 hours total. I wouldn't recommend starting at 9pm. But I do recommend doing this while you are kid free!

-Once you eat this jam, you will never go back!!



Linking up! -
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails