Wednesday, January 23, 2013

2 Keys to Losing Weight.



If you know me, you know I'm on a journey toward a healthier life. A big part of that right now is losing weight.

By the grace of God, I have had consistent victory over the sin of emotional overeating for 2.5 months! And in that time I've lost 17-18 pounds!

Praise the Lord from whom all blessings flow!

The Kempton weight and the Jack weight are gone. Now for the long haul... losing the Marie weight. I'm halfway there! 17lbs to go.

Why is this time different? First and foremost, God started it. I've struggled with eating my whole life. Finally, through a series of little events (or maybe better... God interventions), I truly repented and am no longer a slave to food!
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed. John 8:36
My sister-in-law said it wonderfully in her post entitled THE Key Ingredient to Getting in Shape.

The #1 key to losing weight/getting fit/becoming healthy is...

A right relationship with the One True God. 

Shake your head if you want, but it is fact. I've lost weight numerous times in my life, but every time I found myself obsessing even more about food! This time... this time I don't obsess over what my next meal will contain. I don't run to food the moment I'm discouraged or angry or tired or happy! Sure I struggle and often want to do those things, but I've found victory in Jesus! The sinful desires are all but gone and I'm finding contentment... fullness in Him alone.
My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:26
While true repentance seemed to happen all at once, change is always a process! Daily I am in the Word and in prayer. Daily I am running hard after Him. That is the only way.
How sweet are Your words to my taste! Yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth! Psalm 119:103
Looking for key #2? My sister-in-law talks about this all the time, and since I came to my senses by the grace of God, I finally started listening!

The #2 key to losing weight/getting fit is...

Lift Heavy Weights.




There are a number of other "keys" to weight loss success but following the most important key of getting right with the Lord, this has had the most impact for me.

You may recall I trained for and ran a half-marathon before getting pregnant with Kempton. During that 5 months of training I lost a total of... wait for it...

THREE pounds.

The problem? Well, I wasn't watching my calories for one. But mostly, I never lifted weights! I basically did nothing but run.

Now I haven't even started training for my next half yet (scheduled for June!), and I'm already dropping the pounds. With the help of my SIL, eating right, and lifting weights, I finally have a metabolism that works with me rather than against me!

Oh, and I'm already running at a faster pace. Woot! Thank you, muscle!

No more excuses. Get to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails